Gaining Marine Insights from Podcasts

Discovering the Power of Bioacoustics: An Inspiring Journey from Curiosity to Conservation 





A popular quote from the well-known book The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho is, “When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it." The same thing happened to me just today. I am curious about the ocean and marine ecosystem interactions with human beings. Due to this curiosity, I completed my master's degree in zoology with a specialization in fishery and oceanography in 2016. For the last four years, I have been more focused on marine mammals and other marine megafauna and their fisheries interactions. To learn more about how marine mammals interact within fishing areas, I have been reading research papers on how bioacoustics can help detect the number and types of marine mammals within a study area.

  In May 2024, I applied for a course on bioacoustics at one of the great institutes in our country, but unfortunately, I was not shortlisted. Surprisingly, just a day before, I saw a LinkedIn post from one of the key people involved in this coursework, discussing the use of bioacoustics in conservation ecology.

  Today, I got a chance to listen to a podcast titled Wild Frequencies from Mongabay India's official Spotify channel. It is all about bioacoustics and current research findings in India. A few stories from this podcast were particularly surprising to me. For example, the audio recording of the rare nocturnal Indian bird, the Jerdon's courser, and how their audio recordings can aid future conservation efforts. Additionally, I learned how three different species of mammals in three different habitats can be studied using bioacoustics.

  Rohit discussed how bioacoustics can help us identify bat species in our neighbouring environment and his contribution to building an Indian bat call library, a database of bat acoustics within our country. I was also very excited to learn from Isha Bopardikar about how bioacoustics helps identify when, where, and how the Indian Ocean humpback dolphin and Indo-Pacific finless porpoise occur in our coastal waters. The most interesting thing I learned here was how she collects data on the number of marine mammals using a "towed array " a type of hydrophone setup with multiple hydrophones in a series.

A background story of the Mowgli animated series title song, featuring the Indian wolf, was shared with us by Bilal Habib. He emphasized the importance of bioacoustics in accurately estimating the wolf population.

 I really appreciate the effort put in by these researchers, which is truly inspiring for my future research journey. Additionally, I am thankful to Kartik and Shreya for sharing this podcast within the Mongabay India podcast series.


Pradip N. Chogale 

20 July 2024

09.00 PM, Mumbai


Reference

  • https://open.spotify.com/episode/5ed9vdaiIQICWm7e2oiGVB?si=kGHNnSVoT6OJ9k9GEDIWWQ



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

निळ्या देवमास्याच्या मार्गावर :- भाग ५